Cycling Savvy Course
August 24th 9:00 a.m. - 12:00 p.m. - Classroom Phase (Truth & Techniques of Traffic Cycling) Truth & Techniques
August 24th 1:30 p.m. - 4:3:00 p.m. - Practical Application - (Train Your Bike) &
August 25th 10:00 a.m. - 2:00 p.m. - (Tour Your Town) - Practical Application
August 25th 5:00 p.m. - 7:00 p.m. - Ride Leader & Coordinator Seminar Ride Leader Seminar
All training currently scheduled at First Presbyterian Church 1620 1st Street West Milan, IL 61264
Truth and Techniques of Traffic Cycling: (Classroom/3 hours) Guided discussion with video and animation, designed to familiarize participants with bicycle-specific laws, traffic dynamics and strategies that make bicycling easier and more enjoyable.
The course is geared to both seasoned cyclist as well al cyclist wanting to improve their skill of riding in traffic. Learn how to reduce your risk of being involved in a traffic accident. The classroom session will focus on these three areas:
1. Knowledge of the Law: Cyclists have a right & responsibility to the road.
2. Knowledge of Bicycle Safety: Cycling is inherently a safe activity and cyclists have the power to minimize over 90% of common crash situations.
3. Knowledge of Traffic Cycling Problem Solving: Identify common situations and problem areas so that cyclists have the understanding on how to handle and prevent conflict.
Train Your Bike: (Parking lot drills/3 hours) Progressive drills designed to increase students’ control of their bikes in various situations.
· 1:30 PM to 4:30 PM Saturday, August 24 - First Presbyterian Church, Milan
Tour of Your City: (On-road/3.5 hours) An experiential tour of area roads. The route includes some of the most intimidating road features (intersections, interchanges, merging, etc.) a cyclist might find in his or her travels.
Traveling as a group, the participants stop to survey and discuss each exercise location. After observing the feature, the group discusses traffic dynamics and the best strategy for easy passage. Each cyclist then rides through individually and regroups at a nearby location.
· 10:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m. Sunday, August 25 details to be determined
The classroom and bike handling sessions must be taken as a prerequisite for this session.
Ride Leaders & Coordinators Seminar: (Classroom/2 hours) TBP
Background Information on the American Bicycling Education Association